A decision to move from homegrown and legacy ERP solutions to a packaged ERP solution (e.g., SAP, Oracle, etc.) requires changes to the on-going role and capability of the internal IT organization. It is Wavestone US’ perspective that the following factors should be considered when developing a new IT organizational model and capabilities:
- A move to packaged software requires a change in organizational focus and capability. There will be a need to create Centers of Expertise or Excellence (COE) for managing the ERP solution going forward both from a business and an IT perspective.
- During the ERP implementation, new process definition and process improvement is owned by the business and during implementation the business is usually responsible for the adoption of business processes.
- Since the package ERP will become the new foundational system, a core team of Business Process owners should be retained post-implementation, to form a Business COE with responsibility for:
- Strategic Direction – ERP usage and enhancement
- Business Processes – Refinement and improvement
- Business Integration and Interaction model
- Business Ownership Enablement
- Similarly, an organization may create an internal IT capability to support the ERP solution architecture, continued development & integration capabilities – this forms the IT COE.
- The IT COE works in concert with the business COE, the implementation team and the outsourced support provider to ensure that the on-going integrity of the ERP solution is maintained beyond the initial deployment and to plan future upgrades and changes
- The IT COE has an integral role, even if the support for new ERP environment is to be outsourced
- This may require an investment in resources, training and new skills
- This also requires strong governance and disciplined execution
A clear IT organizational strategy and the definition of the new IT organization structure post-implementation is a key step. It is recommended that an organization planning or executing a new ERP deployment meet with an experienced IT strategy firm to help craft a cohesive IT organizational strategy, operating model and implementation plan.
To learn more about Wavestone US’ services, visit http://www.wavestone.us/capabilities/.
Have a Question? Just Ask
Whether you're looking for practical advice or just plain curious, our experienced principals are here to help. Check back weekly as we publish the most interesting questions and answers right here.